Monday, November 7, 2011

Some of My Investigators

Again, sorry for the short message last week. Like I promised, there's gonna be a lot more today.
 
Before I forget, yes, there is a Wal-mart here. I bought gloves for myself, Nicki got me a beanie, and a less active here is making a scarf for me (at least, I think it's a scarf), so I think I'm okay on cold weather clothing, but there is a Wal-mart here.
 
This has been a pretty rough week. I think I'm sleeping better, but every morning till around after lunch I've been feeling sick. It's gotten better the last 3 days, but it was really hard this week. I've had to skip meals, miss study time for extra sleep, and it's not been fun. I think I'm over it now, but that was a burden this week.
 
Other than that things are going much better here. The area has really picked up. My 1st week we only taught 11 lessons, well, this last week we were up to 17! The work really is starting to pick up. We're only close to baptism and/or reactivation on about 3-5 of those lessons, but I'm really happy with the way things are going.
 
But I am struggling a bit. I've always been shy around strangers, and now is no exception. We go into a lesson and I don't speak much. A big part of it is getting to know the person, and that's not something I've been very good at. Meeting new people is definately not my forte. Anything you can say/do to help me? I really want to be able to open my mouth, but I don't and it's really been an inward struggle for me.
 
There's a lot of wonderful people here in Mountain Home. Everyone is just so nice and willing to help us and I just love them all. There's almost never a night we don't have dinners lined up.
Our investigators are wonderful too. We're really close to baptism for a lot of them, and there's a lot of potential investigators we have as well. I'll talk about a few of them.
 
Juanita Walton- she's an OLD lady. She just turned 90 last Thursday, yet she still moves around like she's 60. She's soaking everything we have to say in. I think she wants to be baptised, but she wants to know and understand more first. 
 
Danni- He's married to a member. He's had all the discussions, told us he wants to be baptised, but has a WoW problem he's trying to overcome. He's German, grew up in East Germany, so religion was something new to him (he had all the lessons before I got here), but he's really taking to it and has that desire. 
 
Johnny Schmid- he's 29 and not sure what he wasn't in life. He claims a hippie... hitchhiking, alcohol, chew, the whole deal. He's awesome though. He's progressed more than any other investigator we've had. He comes to church every Sunday, reads scriptures (has a difficult time understanding though), and prays (the 1st time I heard him pray instead of ending in the name of Christ he said "so yeah, that's about it. peace out man. BEEP" said it was like hanging up the phone. But the last time he prayed he ended in His name, it was neat to see). He also liked calling God "the dude" and Christ " the man". He's stopped that since we've been meeting with him and is progressing rapidly. He's not sure if he wants to be a Mormon, but he loves going to church and having us over.
 
That's just a few investigators we're teaching right now. They're probably my favorite though.
 
It is COLD here. We had our 1st snow last Friday! It didn't snow hard or leave anything on the ground, but I can count the times I've been in snow and cold on one hand, so it was exciting to me. But the wind here is brutal. It wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't windy.
 
Well, that's about it for this week. If there's anything else you want to know, send me a letter and I'll try to address it (if I remember. Tere's so much to say I forget a lot of stuff      = P ). Hope everything goes well with the roof and that everyone is doing alright.
 
Love you all!
 
Elder Blomquist 

No comments:

Post a Comment